Skip to main content

Responsive Curricula

This is the third in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to analyse the issue of unresponsive curricula as a barrier to learning,  then to critique and evaluate practice in the context of different audiences (local, national and/or international) and their perspectives.

If the reports by the US National Intelligence Council (2012) and KPMG (2014) are to be believed, poverty is set to decline as globalisation sets in and we, as a global community, advance.  While this may be the case globally, I have my doubts about whether we will experience the same shift here in New Zealand.  My skeptical tone stems from our currently increasing inequality; the widening gap between the 'haves' and 'have nots' (Rashbrooke, 2013).  I choose this trend to analyse as a flow-on from last week's post, wherein I identified issues affecting my practice arising from socioeconomic factors: "[poor] nutrition, [low] attendance, and low literacy and numeracy." (Wieland, 2017).

While I am skeptical of the projections of the aforementioned reports, the acknowledgement by the Education Review Office (ERO) in their report (2012) that "considerable work needs to happen before primary and secondary teachers and leaders understand the permissive nature and intent of The New Zealand Curriculum (NZC), and implement responsive curricula in their schools." (p. 6).  Absolutely, teachers in schools serving communities of low socioeconomic status must seek to better understand the NZC in order to be responsive to the diverse needs of learners.

The ERO report (2012) recommends that schools invest in working towards a "responsive and inclusive curriculum" (p. 14).  This requires teachers to move away from predetermined curricula and work to better understand and be informed by student data regarding "strengths, interests, and next learning steps" (p. 14).  The report highlights the importance of responsive curricula for priority learners, the majority of whom identify as Māori or Pasifika, and for the majority of whom connections to culture provided the foundation for valued learnings (p. 15).

These findings and recommendations were a massive wake-up call for me.  While I like to think I do my best [as a mathematics teacher to predominately Māori and Pasifika learners], I can't help but acknowledge my shortcomings in attempts to provide a responsive curriculum.  As such, I shall endeavour to take their recommendations to heart and begin efforts to implement responsive strategies such as:

  • providing opportunities for students to discuss and explore mathematical ideas
  • facilitate assimilation of new ideas through "thinking time"
  • present ideas through constructive argumentation
  • provide support as learners adapt to behavioural norms required for participation
(p.16)

Adapting to and facilitating responsive curricula will not happen overnight!  This requires a significant shift in thinking from much of the profession, and will require oversight and leeway from management at all levels.  

Seems like I've/we've got a bit of work to do.


References

Education Review Office. (2012). Evaluation at a Glance: Priority Learners in New Zealand Schools. Retrieved 18 May 2016, from http://www.ero.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Evaluation-at-a-Glance-Priority-Learners-in-New-Zealand-Schools-August-2012.pdf

Adams Becker, S., Freeman, A., Giesinger Hall, C., Cummins, M.,and Yuhnke, B. (2016). NMC/CoSN Horizon Report: 2016 K-12Edition. Austin, Texas: The New Media Consortium. Retrieved from http://cdn.nmc.org/media/2016-nmc-cosn-horizon-report-k12-EN.pdf

Education Review Office. (2012). Evaluation at a Glance: Priority Learners in New Zealand Schools. Retrieved from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8swBIPJQ1N-R3d0VS11ZDByWVE/view

KPMG International. (2014). Future state 2030: the global megatrends shaping governments”. KPMG International Cooperative: USA. Retrieved from http://www.kpmg.com/Global/en/IssuesAndInsights/ArticlesPublications/future-state-government/Documents/future-state-2030-v3.pdf

National Intelligence Council. (2012). Global trends: Alternative Worlds. National Intelligence Council: US. Retrieved from https://globaltrends2030.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/global-trends-2030-november2012.pdf

OECD. (2016). Trends Shaping Education 2016, OECD Publishing, Paris. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/trends_edu-2016-en

Rashbrooke, M. (Ed.). (2013). Inequality: A New Zealand Crisis. Wellington, New Zealand: Bridget Williams Books.

Wieland, J. (2017). Collegial Improvement. Retrieved from http://jwmindlabreflections.blogspot.co.nz/2017/02/collegial-improvement.html

Comments

  1. I agree, Jonathan a few statements in those reports seem very optimistic and the outlook at the moment in New Zealand is very different. I like this idea of a responsive curriculum. This draws upon some theories in socio-cultural learning as well - that the population decides and drives cultural practices and learning in a response to the environment they are in. Teachers should adapt and respond to their students and the environments they are working in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Facebook Groups: Worth the risk?

This is the fifth in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to explore ethics related to digital/online access and activity within the context of fusing acebook groups for the purpose of organising school sports teams. Facebook groups are widely used at my school to communicate with students and parents, as we often struggle through either traditional methods (e.g. daily notices), or more 21st century methods (e.g. email), and the majority of our students are active on Facebook. Hall (2001, p.5) proposes a guide for ethical decision-making which I will utilise, alongside the Education Council's Code of Ethics for Certificated Teachers (2017).  There are many questions to be asked!  But for the purpose of the exercise I will dig into issues of privacy . What is the problem? Opening up an online, public, forum challenges the teachers' ability to protect ...

Collegial Improvement

This is the second in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to critically analyse issues of socioeconomic factors, school culture and professional environments in relation to my practice.  I will avoid discussing the decile system, only using it as basis for inference regarding the living situations of students at my school. My school is rated as decile 3.  At the time of writing I didn't have access to data regarding the different factors in decile ranking.  However, I can infer from this ranking and the insight I have that a significant number of our students: live in households with income in the lowest 20% nationally have parents in occupations at skill levels 4 or 5 live in households with an equivalised crowding index greater than one have parents with no tertiary or school qualifications have parents who received some form of benefit (Mini...