Skip to main content

Responsive pedagogy, unresponsive assessment.

This is the fourth in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to explore my understanding and practice of indigenous knowledge and cultural responsiveness relative to learning activities and assessment.

Firstly, I acknowledge that the concepts of indigenous knowledge and cultural responsiveness are complex and nuanced, and that I have a long journey ahead in appreciating them with significant fullness.  As a straight, cis-gender, NZ European male, I have no doubt that I am blind to many privileges I benefit from, and many deficits of access and opportunity that I haven't had to overcome.

I work with Gay's (2001, p.106) broad-but-comprehensive definition of culturally responsive pedagogy: "using the cultural characteristics, experiences and perspectives as conduits for effective teaching”.

My reading and reflecting resonated strongly with an experience last year working towards the school goal of having 100% of year 11 students meet the NCEA Level 1 Numeracy requirement (10 credits).  The goal was set in recognition of the role of Level 1 Literacy and Numeracy for opening opportunities for further training and study.  Literacy mostly took care of itself (owing to the large number of standards tagged with literacy), but numeracy was a challenge, so we made a targeted effort to track progress and provide additional support for struggling students.  Students and their families were well on board with the goal, and there was a big buy-in from all involved.  We succeeded.  The initiative was a success and many students who may have previously fallen through the cracks will benefit for the expanded opportunities open to them.

However, I can't help but feel that we (staff and students) worked very hard, effectively employing culturally responsive pedagogy, to help learners cope with our very un-responsive assessments and structures.

By Bishop's criteria (EdTalks, 2012), I feel we're doing pretty well in our teaching approach:
  • care for Māori as Māori
  • care for the performance of Māori (high expectations)
  • create learning context wherein young Māori can draw upon their own experience 
  • pedagogy promotes interactions that give academic feedback, feed-forward
  • evidence of student performance guides teaching
  • students are made aware of outcomes, progress and direction
Digging further with reference to Unitec's Poutama (n.d.), I believe our pedagogy to be moving towards knowledge/stage 2: "Learning/Teaching approaches are enhanced by understanding of Māori knowledge concepts", while our assessment isn't yet at learn/stage 1: "Assessment approaches and tools are designed to be diverse and responsive to student preferred pedagogies" (p.12).

In fact, the findings of Savage et al. (2011) resonated far too strongly for comfort:
"Secondary schools have remained relatively unchanged since their inception, despite massive social change in their populations and high expectations for their graduates." (p.196)

So what's missing?  I can't help but return to last week's post on responsive curricula.  It's difficult and it's messy, but if we are to be truly responsive we must recreate curricula.  NCEA is certainly flexible enough to accommodate a range of assessment methods, and the process of embracing change alongside learners and whānau can't begin soon enough.  Again, it's difficult and it's messy, but giving the community agency is crucial if we are to see a shift away from the Euro-centric systems and structures that dominate current practice (Freire, 1996).

References

Edtalks. (2012). A culturally responsive pedagogy of relations. [video file]. Retrieved from https://vimeo.com/49992994

Freire, P. (1996). Pedagogy of the Oppressed. England: Penguin Books.

Gay, G. (2002). Preparing for culturally responsive teaching. Journal of Teacher Education, 53(2), 106-116.

Savage, C, Hindleb, R., Meyerc,L., Hyndsa,A., Penetitob, W. & Sleeterd, C. (2011). Culturally responsive pedagogies in the classroom: indigenous student experiences across the curriculum. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, 39(3), 183–198

Teaching Tolerance. (2010). Introduction to Culturally Relevant Pedagogy. [video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTVjJuRaZ8

Unitec. (n.d.). Learning and Teaching at Unitec Institute of Technology. Retrieved from Booklet.http://www.unitec.ac.nz/ahimura/publications/U008817%20Learning%20and%20Teaching%20Booklet.pdf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Responsive Curricula

This is the third in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to analyse the issue of unresponsive curricula as a barrier to learning,  then to critique and evaluate practice in the context of different audiences (local, national and/or international) and their perspectives. If the reports by the US National Intelligence Council (2012) and KPMG (2014) are to be believed, poverty is set to decline as globalisation sets in and we, as a global community, advance .  While this may be the case globally, I have my doubts about whether we will experience the same shift here in New Zealand.  My skeptical tone stems from our currently increasing inequality; the widening gap between the 'haves' and 'have nots' (Rashbrooke, 2013).  I choose this trend to analyse as a flow-on from last week's post , wherein I identified issues affecting my practice arising from s...

Facebook Groups: Worth the risk?

This is the fifth in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to explore ethics related to digital/online access and activity within the context of fusing acebook groups for the purpose of organising school sports teams. Facebook groups are widely used at my school to communicate with students and parents, as we often struggle through either traditional methods (e.g. daily notices), or more 21st century methods (e.g. email), and the majority of our students are active on Facebook. Hall (2001, p.5) proposes a guide for ethical decision-making which I will utilise, alongside the Education Council's Code of Ethics for Certificated Teachers (2017).  There are many questions to be asked!  But for the purpose of the exercise I will dig into issues of privacy . What is the problem? Opening up an online, public, forum challenges the teachers' ability to protect ...

Collegial Improvement

This is the second in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to critically analyse issues of socioeconomic factors, school culture and professional environments in relation to my practice.  I will avoid discussing the decile system, only using it as basis for inference regarding the living situations of students at my school. My school is rated as decile 3.  At the time of writing I didn't have access to data regarding the different factors in decile ranking.  However, I can infer from this ranking and the insight I have that a significant number of our students: live in households with income in the lowest 20% nationally have parents in occupations at skill levels 4 or 5 live in households with an equivalised crowding index greater than one have parents with no tertiary or school qualifications have parents who received some form of benefit (Mini...