Skip to main content

Hei konā mai i roto i ngā mihi

This is the eight and final in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher (for now, at least).  This post aims to explore how my practice has changed as a result of the 32-week learning journey of The Mind Lab's PG Cert in Applied Practice (Digital and Collaborative Learning), with reference to the Practicing Teacher Criteria in e-Learning (Ministry of Education, nd), and to my dreams for the future!

We all know reflective practice is good practice (Osterman & Kottkamp, 1993), but I've always found it difficult to make a proper habit of meaty, critical reflection.  In reflection, this aversion to habitual reflection stems from arrogance and laziness - in short, I like to think I know what I'm doing, and that what I'm doing is fine as it is.  Over the past 32 weeks I've been equipped and nurtured, then pushed and prodded to take an honest look at my practice and how I could be more effective.  The structure of the programme was such that I wasn't made to feel stupid or bad at teaching, but rather we were given tools to trial and were guided through assessments of their effectiveness.  Reflecting on new tools served to ease me into a space wherein I could begin reflecting more broadly.  It has also been hugely significant to step into a 'learner' role, with classes, assessments, and deadlines.  To be reminded of these demands and pressures, and to humbly concede that just like our students we will leave things to the last minute, has been a valuable re-learning.  Through the process, I have thoroughly enjoyed the camaraderie that has developed within our Auckland Central cohort, both on a professional level and a sharing-laughs-during-class level.  This learning community has contributed greatly to the experience, and I'm confident the connections will remain beyond the final submission.

With reference to the PTC, I have been pushed to take very seriously Criterion 4: "Demonstrate commitment to ongoing professional learning and development of professional personal practice" (Ministry of Education, nd).  I was already keen on developing my practice, but, as mentioned above, this course has challenged and shaped both how and why I want to develop my practice.  Good intentions are not enough!  I trust that we all want to be more effective, but genuine development requires curiousity, humility, resilience, and critical reflection.

Secondly, I have been really challenged to address Criterion 7: "Promote a collaborative, inclusive, and supportive learning environment" (Ministry of Education, nd).  This applies significantly to both the learning environment I strive for within my classroom and the professional learning I lead at school under the e-Learning umbrella.  In both instances, I now feel better equipped to lead and facilitate collaboration, inclusion and support, with leadership models, implementation rubrics, and a range of tools for creating 'work'.  It remains difficult to keep the learning environment collaborative, inclusive, and supportive, but we're on the right track and I'm confident this will continue to be the case.  It also makes for a far more motivating and enjoyable working environment.

I'm looking forward to not having any assessment deadlines for a while, but having started scratching the 'postgraduate study' itch, I can't help but feel this won't be the end of my journey.  For now, though, I have more than enough to work on in my role as e-Learning coordinator in the pilot year of a BYOD roll-out.  I'm learning things all the time - often out of necessity, but mostly out of a desire to do things well! - and this will no doubt continue as we move forward.

Finally, if the info video is anything to go by, perhaps the masters programme is worth considering!  (Although perhaps Teachers would be more appropriate).
"Life After the Postgrad Certificate"

Hei konā mai i roto i ngā mihi,

Jonathan

References

Ministry of Education (nd). Practising teacher Criteria and e-learning. Retrieved from http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/

Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, R. (1993). Reflective Practice for Educators.California.Cornwin Press, Inc. Retrieved on 7th May, 2015 from http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files/RefPract/Osterman_Kottkamp_extract.pdf

Comments

  1. Really well put! I do agree that this course definitely has given me tools to help effectively improve on my own practice through networking, CoP's, research etc.. Very awesome to hear about your new role! And yes I agree .. I am looking forward to having no assessment deadlines haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take it form me once you get the learning bug it won't go away. If you choose to study then find a study that will help you continue to improve your practise, not just to be an effective teacher but be an adaptive teacher. The world is changing so fast that being an adaptive practitioner is a requirement. Mind Lab has kicked me into a learning space that I was previously very uncomfortable in. What I look forward to for the rest of this year, is to have some fun with all the things I have learned so that the students, teachers and leaders I work with are enthusiastic and excited about the world of possibilities for enhancing learning. You have a fantastic opportunity to have some fun in your new role. The measure of an adpative teacher is involving kids in a true learning partnership.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Responsive Curricula

This is the third in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to analyse the issue of unresponsive curricula as a barrier to learning,  then to critique and evaluate practice in the context of different audiences (local, national and/or international) and their perspectives. If the reports by the US National Intelligence Council (2012) and KPMG (2014) are to be believed, poverty is set to decline as globalisation sets in and we, as a global community, advance .  While this may be the case globally, I have my doubts about whether we will experience the same shift here in New Zealand.  My skeptical tone stems from our currently increasing inequality; the widening gap between the 'haves' and 'have nots' (Rashbrooke, 2013).  I choose this trend to analyse as a flow-on from last week's post , wherein I identified issues affecting my practice arising from s...

Facebook Groups: Worth the risk?

This is the fifth in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to explore ethics related to digital/online access and activity within the context of fusing acebook groups for the purpose of organising school sports teams. Facebook groups are widely used at my school to communicate with students and parents, as we often struggle through either traditional methods (e.g. daily notices), or more 21st century methods (e.g. email), and the majority of our students are active on Facebook. Hall (2001, p.5) proposes a guide for ethical decision-making which I will utilise, alongside the Education Council's Code of Ethics for Certificated Teachers (2017).  There are many questions to be asked!  But for the purpose of the exercise I will dig into issues of privacy . What is the problem? Opening up an online, public, forum challenges the teachers' ability to protect ...

Collegial Improvement

This is the second in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to critically analyse issues of socioeconomic factors, school culture and professional environments in relation to my practice.  I will avoid discussing the decile system, only using it as basis for inference regarding the living situations of students at my school. My school is rated as decile 3.  At the time of writing I didn't have access to data regarding the different factors in decile ranking.  However, I can infer from this ranking and the insight I have that a significant number of our students: live in households with income in the lowest 20% nationally have parents in occupations at skill levels 4 or 5 live in households with an equivalised crowding index greater than one have parents with no tertiary or school qualifications have parents who received some form of benefit (Mini...