Skip to main content

Socially Professional Networks

This is the sixth in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to explore my use of social media for professional development.

Thankfully, I explored the ethics of using Facebook for learning in last week's post, so I feel I can leave out that aspect of the discussion.  In short, as long as the teacher is careful to frame and facilitate, it's okay to use social media for education, and it can be a very effective way to organise and engage students.



Above are screenshots of some online social networks that I use professionally.  These are Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Yammer (from top to bottom).  Listing like this prompts me to feel that the range and extent of my involvement is a bit excessive, but I swear I use each network quite differently and they all serve quite different purposes!

I use Google+ as a requirement for a course with The Mind Lab.  The site functions works well as a hub for posts and as a way of connecting learners who otherwise wouldn't (or couldn't) cross paths.  This is in keeping with Melhuish's findings (2013): "social network sites offered a way for, often geographically separated, people to connect with and learn from others who were
previously inaccessible." (p. 39).  However, I feel that the very successful grouping of the large number of course participants has limited effectiveness as a hub for discussion.  With so many people posting so often and about so many things, it can be very difficult to focus in on any particular topic or thread.  As such, many course participants have found other avenues to share and discuss course content.

My Twitter use is certainly the most loosely connected to professional development, in that I use it only sporadically, and for a combination of personal and professional interest.  I find it most useful for tracking themes at conferences and checking into #edchatnz to get the latest goss on what's hot in NZ education.  As with my experience of Google+, the scale of Twitter can be overwhelming and useful posts can be buried under less-useful content.

"Only-useful-when-you-really-need-it" has described LinkedIn for me in the past, but I've hit a point (perhaps a level of following/followership) wherein the social functions are proving somewhat beneficial.  In particular, I have friends in other industries who write industry-targeted blogs, and LinkedIn seems to be a great platform for sharing these.  Many of the commenters are purely professional connections, and it makes for some insightful and robust conversation.

A great example of community making up for a not-awesome platform.  Participation requires a Microsoft login, and the layout can be pretty confusing, but it is used extensively by the Microsoft NZ Education group and has become an incredibly valuable resource for me [in my Office 365 school].  The Microsoft Education NZ staff are very active in engaging with teachers and have sustained this for a long time.  They're clear investment and intent has built trust, and fostered a culture of sharing and forward-thinking.  It has seemingly also been beneficial for Microsoft, in that they get rich, honest, feedback from their customers as and when good and bad things come about.  A truly socially professional network!

References


Melhuish, K. (2013). Online social networking and its impact on New Zealand educators’ professional learning. Master Thesis. The University of Waikato. Retrived on 05 May, 2015 from http://researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz/bitstream/han...

Seaman, J., & Tinti-Kane, H. (2013). Social media for teaching and learning. Babson Survey Research Group. Retrieved from http://www.onlinelearningsurvey.com/reports/social-media-for-teaching-and-learning-2013-report.pdf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Responsive Curricula

This is the third in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to analyse the issue of unresponsive curricula as a barrier to learning,  then to critique and evaluate practice in the context of different audiences (local, national and/or international) and their perspectives. If the reports by the US National Intelligence Council (2012) and KPMG (2014) are to be believed, poverty is set to decline as globalisation sets in and we, as a global community, advance .  While this may be the case globally, I have my doubts about whether we will experience the same shift here in New Zealand.  My skeptical tone stems from our currently increasing inequality; the widening gap between the 'haves' and 'have nots' (Rashbrooke, 2013).  I choose this trend to analyse as a flow-on from last week's post , wherein I identified issues affecting my practice arising from s...

Facebook Groups: Worth the risk?

This is the fifth in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to explore ethics related to digital/online access and activity within the context of fusing acebook groups for the purpose of organising school sports teams. Facebook groups are widely used at my school to communicate with students and parents, as we often struggle through either traditional methods (e.g. daily notices), or more 21st century methods (e.g. email), and the majority of our students are active on Facebook. Hall (2001, p.5) proposes a guide for ethical decision-making which I will utilise, alongside the Education Council's Code of Ethics for Certificated Teachers (2017).  There are many questions to be asked!  But for the purpose of the exercise I will dig into issues of privacy . What is the problem? Opening up an online, public, forum challenges the teachers' ability to protect ...

Collegial Improvement

This is the second in a series of posts in which I will attempt to demonstrate critical reflection with respect to different aspects of life as a teacher.  This post aims to critically analyse issues of socioeconomic factors, school culture and professional environments in relation to my practice.  I will avoid discussing the decile system, only using it as basis for inference regarding the living situations of students at my school. My school is rated as decile 3.  At the time of writing I didn't have access to data regarding the different factors in decile ranking.  However, I can infer from this ranking and the insight I have that a significant number of our students: live in households with income in the lowest 20% nationally have parents in occupations at skill levels 4 or 5 live in households with an equivalised crowding index greater than one have parents with no tertiary or school qualifications have parents who received some form of benefit (Mini...